Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday, August 24, 2008, St. John's, Nfld. 135 km.

I arrived in St. John's yesterday afternoon just in time to be at the door as Joe of Canary Bicycles was closing up for the weekend. He very helpfully delivered a bike box to the Delta where I got a room on the top floor overlooking the harbour.

On the ferry Friday night were 8 other cyclists, 5 of whom I had met somewhere along the way. We traded stories, of course, and surprisingly not one of us saw a live moose despite all the signage along the way. The scenery along Hwy #100 and #1 was unlike anything I had seen anywhere on the journey; the very stunted evergreens, granite outcroppings and small surface "ponds" reminded me of how far north Nfld is comparatively.

St. John's is a fun city, with steep streets and walkways leading away from the harbour. The "saltbox" houses are colourful and rise up from the downtown. I had to do some pleading to get my tattoo done this afternoon but Adam at Studio Maxx fitted me in at the end of his fully booked afternoon. Thanks to Dave 3 and Jim for the design...I love it!

I totalled up my distance travelled to this point and got 6918.9 km (first computation). It was done a day at a time and was a wonderful journey. Thank you to Dave and Brenda, Pat and Adele, Jim and Ute, Carol and Dave 2 for making the experience possible. You are a great group of friends.

from Yvonne

No comments: